Fwd: Urgent critical assistance required with Linux for company

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:48:49 -0700

I tried to call both numbers to no avail, apparently they have fixed or
they dont want help.

Generally this is a sign that master process (init) is not being found.
At lilo they can type

linux init=/bin/bash
or
linux init=/bin/sh
(its been long time)

and that generally will get them in the system so they can repair the
problem.

My guess is during one of the storms this system got powered off mid
system and didnt have a journalling filesystem.  This is very common on
Red Hat for some reason w/o journalling file systems. (a warning to
those that might be in similar situations)

Feel free to call me at 480-216-2668 if they still dont have this fixed
and need help and Hans or some one cant get there for them.  I dont need
the consulting money, so would rather let someone else take it, but I
dont want to have this company bad mouthing Linux because no one can
help them.

-Derek