Question for Debianers

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:57:30 -0700

Derek Neighbors wrote:

> The biggest item is that Debian is not like other distributions in how
> works on upgrade. Upgrading from Potato to Woody is literally as easy as
> chaning a few lines in a config file.  (actually a few words) then doing
> apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

How much of a problem is this to do if you are living with very limited
bandwidth? I would like to try out Deb on one of my boxes but the lack of
bandwidth here gives me pause.

I have, in the past, taken my laptop down to bandersnatch and used wget to
grab all of the updates for Mandrake. With multiple boxes this makes life
easier and faster.

I am getting a little tired of repairing Mandrake installs tho., even if I've
gotten pretty good at it ;-)

Any words of advice to make this transition a little smoother? How much
trouble is it to update a box on-the-quick from source to fix a security
problem if you aren't willing to wait for a deb package? (ie: apache and sshd
as recent examples) Can this be done without messing up the package management
or will I be forced to have a 'mixed system' like I have with Redhat and
'drake, or wait for the pkgs?
--
KevinO

Matz's Law:
         A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.