Interesting Article - Linux users going back to $M

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:05:30 -0700

Victor Odhner wrote:

> Yes, Technomage:  some people don't know how to operate
> the Linux desktop.  Where do I sign up to learn the
> basics?  Where do I learn the UNIVERSAL, CONSISTENT RULES
> as to how things SHALL WORK on this desktop?  And which
> 20% of the products are going to follow these rules?
> Having the Windows desktop standardized by megalomaniacs
> has had its benefit:  Bill made the trains run on time.

no... they do not run on time, they just have an agreed upon published
schedule.  When they run of the rail and crash, I would not call that
"run[ning] on time."

> In the Linux world, we still can't agree on those basic
> standards, and attempts to mimic Windows functionality
> are inconsistent.

of course.  Do you know why?  Simple -- I am not paid for the work I
do.  I just do it.  I then release the work into the public domain and
they use it or not.  As the W3C, Open Linux, and other orginizations get
standards down then a few people will use them, but then that begs the
question "how do I as a programmer FIND the relivent STANDARDS and not
just someones idea of a good way to go?"  Also, often times people think
they know of a better way to do something.  That inovation is necessary
to advance things, but play hell with getting things to work together
nicely.  Last, frankly, the Billy boys get PAID to do this
day-in-day-out.  So, yes, being "standardized by megalomaniacs has had
its benefit[s]."  and it will take some time beforethe volunteers can
stand up and schedure our own train schedule...

> The browsers all suck.  I was pleased when Galeon came up
> with good Chinese text which I need for a current project,
> but Galeon keeps bombing out on me.

Yes, that is anoying.  But I have IE and Netscape crash on a regular
basis all the time too.

> I can't find Konqueror, where is it?

Assuming that KDE is installed, try konqueror.  I know, the lower
casedness got me the first time too.

  EBo --