IF2 From the Meeting

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 12:44:41 -0400 (EDT)

There were four major suggestions to come from
the meeting for Install Fest 2.

Local Endorsements:
  It would be good to get some local businesses
involved. It gives us more sponsors, who can become
a part of the ongoing effort, and it increases the
sense of community that is central to our group.

  There is a hardware store near GCC that has a
Linux sign in the window. Even if we don't get any
other local sponsors, we should get them.

  Assuming Steve gets confirmation of location in
the near future, it would be good for someone to go
out and drive widening concentric circles around GCC.
Stop in at every shop that seems appropriate, and
see if they would like to volunteer their support.

  This should be a coordinated effort. Few things
make an organization look more unprofessional than
hitting the same person up three separate times in
one weekend.

Ernie Ball / BSA Attacks:
  Derek mentioned a story about the BSA raiding
Ernie Ball (the first manufacturer of rock and
roll electric guitar strings). This led to a
presentation that William Lindley will be producing
regarding the risk of attack when using proprietary
software.

  If you know any good articles on these subjects,
please send the info to William.

Separate Room for Presentations
  Jim Farli suggested that if we can have a separate
room or two for presentations, it will be a big
bonus. This cuts down on the noise, and keeps the
audience focused. If there are rooms attached to
the student union, I think it would be worthwhile
to get three or four if we can. With OSEF bringing
"projectors" (not sure how plural that was intended
to be), and Sun presenting (I assume they will bring
their own gear), it is conceivable that we could
have more than one presentation occuring simultaneously.

Video Record Presentations
  Jim Farli had the fantastic idea of video recording
the presentations. I can't express enough praise
for this idea. We should definately do this, and we
should definately put the videos into digital format
for distribution.

  I'm going to start a separate thread on this issue,
but a quick note is that I have a machine (my last
Windows machine) which has an ATI All In Wonder video
capture card. I've got a spare 60 gig hard drive. If
someone can help me get this thing converted to Linux,
I'd love to use it toward this project (though I don't
know if it will help).

  Ideally, if anyone has a digital camcorder, we would
like to borrow it. Along the lines of having multiple
presentation rooms, it would be nice to have more than
one video recorder.

  This also highlights a need for copylefting and
standards. I think we should put together preferred
standards for presenters:
  Copyleft Everything
  OpenOffice Impress (for Windows compatibility)