Achieving small victories

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:26:54 -0700 (PDT)

I see PLUG as having two major components.  One, as a support group for
its members, and two, as an action group for promoting the use of Free
software in our community.

Maricopa County is a good target, and I think we'll be successful, but
it's going to take some time.  Right now, I think it's important for us to
also focus our energies on smaller fish.  With enough group participation,
we should be able to have regular success stories at each meeting.  Maybe
have a prize for the PLUG member that converts the most organizations each
month, like, say, a Delphi 5 CD for Windows NT (you had to be at the
meeting last night for this to be funny...  or not funny.).  So, let's
begin targeting various organizations that would be relatively easy to
migrate over to Free software.  Several non-profit organizations were
mentioned last night, so lets start with them.  And as was mentioned last
night several times, getting Windows users comfortable with OpenOffice,
Mozilla, etc., will go a long way towards easing their transition to
Linux.

-Libraries Part I
Make free CDs w/ software that runs on both Windows & Linux, such as
OpenOffice, Mozilla, Gimp, etc., available for checkout.  Make it clear
that people can install this software without any licensing restrictions
on as many computers as they want to.  Include PLUG info with each CD, as
well as brochures about PLUG on a stand by the software.  Does PLUG have
any existing informational brochures?  If not, we need to create some.
Any volunteers?

-Libraries Part II
LTSP for computer labs.

The libraries should be an easy way to prove the success of our
software/setup.  We can then use the libraries as examples when
approaching other larger organizations.
Here is a possible outline for approaching local libraries (please suggest
any modifications for improvement):

(1)  Collect information on current software that can be checked out.
Collect information on current computing uses within the library.
(2)  Contact libraries and discuss our purpose and motivations.  Ask if
they'd be willing to accept free software donations for checkout.
(3)  Discuss the possibilities of setting up a Linux Terminal Server and
several clients for use within the library.  Explain the benefits, etc.
Give a demonstration.  Explore options for any additional hardware needs.
(4)  Setup an LTSP lab and give basic training in administration and
client-side use to the librarians.
(5)  Be available for emergencies?

We should be contacting as many small non-profits, schools, and other
financially strapped groups as possible, and hand them CDs with
OpenOffice, etc.

As individuals, we should give (and help install) OpenOffice on any
computer that we can our hands on.  Make it clear to the user that they
can (and should) install it on all of their additional computers, and also
encourage them to loan the CD to their friends and families as well.

ASU and the various community colleges in our area would be an excellent
venue for getting OpenOffice into more users' hands.  Maybe have CDs
available in the bookstore?  Maybe have CDs available in the computer
labs?  Maybe instructors could give students the URL for OpenOffice and
encourage them to use it?  Is there anyone that's currently a student that
has some good suggestions on getting more students to use OpenOffice?

Hand out OpenOffice CDs to your coworkers.

Hans mentioned that he tried to apply for a job at Maricopa County, but
couldn't because of the outdated Acrobat plugin for Linux.  Hans, buddy,
find a Windows system and apply.  If you could get hired working for the
county, we'd be unstoppable.  ;-)  BWAAAHAAAHAAA!!!
~M