Group Permission

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:59:39 -0400

Right I add *users* all the time. Now I'm trying to add a group into a group. I "guess" I might be able to use the groupID to add it into another group. I'm pretty sure that back in the days when I used webmin I was able to do this. Now I'm trying to get closer to the config files and I'm trying to figure out how to do it right inside of /etc/group.

Carl P.
From: Bryce C <plug@bryceco.net>
Date: 2002/07/11 Thu PM 03:39:21 EDT
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Group Permission

From the great man pages of MDK8.2:

GROUP(5)            Linux Programmer's Manual            GROUP(5)

NAME
       group - user group file

DESCRIPTION
       /etc/group  is  an  ASCII file which defines the groups to
       which users belong.  There is one entry per line, and each
       line has the format:

              group_name:passwd:GID:user_list

       The field descriptions are:

       group_name
              the name of the group.

       password
              the  (encrypted)  group password.  If this field is
              empty, no password is needed.

       GID    the numerical group ID.

       user_list
              all the group member's  user  names,  separated  by
              commas.

FILES
       /etc/group

SEE ALSO
       login(1), newgrp(1), passwd(5)

Linux                       1992-12-29                   GROUP(5)

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 11:41, Carl Parrish wrote:
> How do you add a group into a group in the /etc/group file??
>
> Carl P.

Bryce Chidester
Network Administrator
CoBryce Communications