County Meeting

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:15:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Alan Dayley wrote:

> Did someone get these links posted into slashdot?

	Well.. why? Yes, it's gotten coverage before but to we really want
the screaming horde interfering? Please allow me to churn up a little
history as explanation.

	A bit over a year ago, I was news and content editor for a
gaming/game review site. During that time, an article hit Slashdot about a
couple of students from Kent State getting raided by police for 'making
death threats'. Even though a Slashdot editor had called to get some
information, from someone involved, he/she still got it all wrong.
The original post is here:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/02/06/1744205&mode=nested&tid=127
Take some time to peruse the comments.

	Having journalistic experience, and it being newsworthy for what I
was doing, I started making calls, and actually wrote a followup. There's
a short blurb about it in a SlashBack:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/02/13/2153202&mode=nested&tid=99
but the link to the article no longer works. I spoke with the Kent State
Police Chief, and he was just shocked at some of the calls he got. Because
of the misrepresentation on Slashdot, people were calling and just being
asses because it was presented as a suppression of free speech.

	Long and short, I don't trust Slashdot to get it right, and we
don't need the horde involved in this. The wrong elements will kick apart
the whole thing. I gave up my zealotry and can present myself as fairly
respectable on the issues at hand. Can you say that for Slashdot?

- billn