Java IDEs (was Re: Red Hat Newbie - What do I really need?)

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:02:54 -0400 (EDT)

If GUI is your thing, check out Eclipse as well:
http://www.eclipse.org/

IBM and Sun haven't been getting along regarding
open, extensible IDEs - Eclipse is IBM's equivalent
of NetBeans.

OTOH, you might want to try Emacs or Vi. Painful for
the first two months, but once you break the mouse
habit, you can really fly. GUIs are intuitive for
new users. Keyboard macros give you access to a
larger set of commands, and can be accessed faster
than GUI widgets - more power if you're willing to
make the investment.