Marketing

Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:57:20 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Jul, 2002 schwätzte Matt Alexander so:

> Dennis' library idea got me thinking about how sweet it would be to mail
> OpenOffice and Linux CDs to random people, just like AOL does.  ;-) Heh...
> maybe we could get a list of Maricopa County employees to send CDs to...
> :-)  :-)  :-)

That would be great, but mucho expensive considering our budget.

> We'd also want to include info on PLUG, of course.  Hmm...  we need a
> marketing department.

You're hired! :)

Actually, putting the two ideas together seems like a good idea. We should
contact RedHat and some other vendors about making their dists available for
checkout from the libraries. I will step up to be the vendor for debian :).

We should also contact Sun about OpenOffice or StarOffice for m$ CDs for the
libraries. Is there a mac port of either?

We could make CDs with OO, Gimp and a host of other Free Software packages
available for m$ OSen available at the library. If we do that, we should
work with the m$ user groups in town for them to help provide support. This
could be a great collaborative project. Anybody work with the m$ and apple
user groups?

We could make the ISO available for other groups around the planet. Let's
also not forget all the school libraries.

We should also be trying to get the libraries to move to LTSP for their
computer workstations. They need virus protected boxen that people can't
much with. I'd think we could put together a solit LTSP-based kiosk system.
I know of a few places where we can test the concept and prove it works.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  "There are two kinds of people; Human beings and women. And when women