Red Hat Newbie - What do I really need?

Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:48:00 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Jul, 2002 schwätzte Craig Smith so:

> What I want to set up is a graphical Linux workstation
> as I am not interested in a server at the moment.I
> want to install Mozilla, OpenOffice, and VIM. I need

Mozilla and VIM will be on the install CDs. VIM is not on the initial CD,
but it's in the pack somewhere. I don't know about OpenOffice.

> to write some C (not C++) programs for a class I will

Get the devel packages.

> be taking next semester. I also need to write some
> HTML, Java, Javascript, and PERL for another class I

Java you need to get from Sun or IBM. The other three will available with a
normal setup.

> am taking. Some games would be nice to breakup the
> boredom of homework.

debian-jr-games, oh, wait you went with RedHat... :)

> Do I need to load both Gnome and KDE or just one of
> them? I think, I like KDE better than Gnome

RedHat should allow you to load one or the other.

> Whih is the better way to install Red Hat
> "Workstation" or "Custom" ?

I usually go with server and add what I want. I would suggest going with
custom and falling back to workstation if you have problems getting it
installed.

> I am a Windows 2000 user and I have a removable hard
> drive which I use for my data file. Can Red Hat read
> and write to this NTFS formated drive without screwing
> it up for Windows 2000?

I believe the Linux kernel can read and write ntfs. I do not know if there
are problems.

> Thinking about buying a book: Red Hat Linux 7.2 Bible
> Unlimited Edition (With CD-ROM) by Christopher Negus

Books are good. Don't know that one, though.

Come to the meeting Thu night. Bring the computer if you want and we'll have
someone help you install it. Next Tue we'll be at Bandersnatch for this
month's Linux Stammtisch. We can help you there as well.

If you're on the other side of town, we can put you in touch with somone
over there. Meeting in two weeks, but as it's in a computer center we try to
avoid having people bring in boxen.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans