Red Hat Newbie - What do I really need?

Craig Smith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:49:11 -0700 (PDT)

I have played around some with Debian (Woody) and Red
Hat 7.2 and I think I like Red Hat better from a users
point of view

What I want to set up is a graphical Linux workstation
as I am not interested in a server at the moment.I
want to install Mozilla, OpenOffice, and VIM. I need
to write some C (not C++) programs for a class I will
be taking next semester. I also need to write some
HTML, Java, Javascript, and PERL for another class I
am taking. Some games would be nice to breakup the
boredom of homework.

Do I need to load both Gnome and KDE or just one of
them? I think, I like KDE better than Gnome

Whih is the better way to install Red Hat
"Workstation" or "Custom" ?

What is the difference between 7.2 and 7.3? Will
"up2date" update my 7.2 to 7.3?

After I register my copy of Red Hat 7.2 and do an
'up2date' command, does it just update what I
installed or something more?

I am a Windows 2000 user and I have a removable hard
drive which I use for my data file. Can Red Hat read
and write to this NTFS formated drive without screwing
it up for Windows 2000?

Thinking about buying a book: Red Hat Linux 7.2 Bible
Unlimited Edition (With CD-ROM) by Christopher Negus

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated