Increasing Linux usage was: County Meeting

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:13:03 -0700

Quoting Robert Bushman <plug@traxel.com>:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Bill Nash wrote:
>

> There are many targets of opportunity in Maricopa
> County - private, public, and individual. If we
> get the populace of Maricopa County up to 10%
> Linux deployed on the desktop, with a 90% success
> rate, will Maricopa be able to defend it's
> Microsoft-centricity?

I'm picking one item from this long post to comment on.

I've noticed that the Scottsdale Library has software you can check out just
like you do a book. Obviously the selection is limited by copyright restrains
and most of it is outdated. You can't check out M$ Office, load it on your
computer and then return the CD two weeks later.

Would this be a good way to introduce the public to Linux? What if they could
just go to the library and check out a copy of OpenOffice and load it on their
Windows box? ("Hey, this is cool!") And maybe find the latest Linux distros on
the same shelf with a note that PLUG could offer install help.

Now it might not be so simple as taking a load of CD's down to your local
branch. While the library does take donations they will not guarentee that
they will be put on the shelf.

- Dennis

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/