County Meeting

Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:07:01 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Jul, 2002 schwätzte technomage so:

> I was under the impression that they had, but stating an exclusivity with
> microsoft as their vendor of choice. However, that was based on prior
> statements made here before the full synopsis was made by der hans (thanks
> dude).
>

> still, I am getting the impression that they are making excuses.

Excuses and reasons for behavior can be the same thing depending on how you
want to view it :).

> in any case, alternative avenues may now need to be explored.
>

> sorry if I seem a bit intense on this point, but I have just gotten done with
> repairing a machine here at home that had winblows on it that became infected
> with a few worms, a virii or 2 and 2 trojan horses (it even tried to phone
> home when i connected it into the lan).

We shouldn't push that type of frustration on 3rd parties. We definitely
can't afford to let it color how we work with groups we're trying to help.

What we can specifically use from you is an unbiased report about how m$,
GNU/Linux, apple, and other *NIXen handle accessability issues for you.

The report should include good and bad features of each. It should cover
costs associated with getting accessability. It should cover mechanisms that
do or don't work for certain platforms, e.g. PDF to speech on the various
platforms. It should cover mechanisms that do or don't work for you, e.g.
can a speech interface handle flash or popups? It should mention the
features you need in order for you to have access to the content.

You don't have to write it yourself. If you know of a good paper, please
point it out for us and give us your personal evaluation of the paper as
someone who has a sight disability.

If you write a paper, then cover the platforms you have experience with.
Please try to keep your likes and dislikes of particular platforms out of
the paper. Feel free, though, to mention if there are other products but you
can't afford to purchase them to review them.

Outside the paper you can give us your personal opinions. Similar to what I
tried to do with the report about yesterday's meeting.

This is the type of thing we should all take into account when creating
content.

You might also want to give us a review as to the legal requirements for
accessability. Who has to obey them? What do they have to provide? What are
the penalties if they don't?

ciao,

der.hans
--