OT: Software for profit (Was: Language Abuse) (Which Was: Note to Tim)

James Durham plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:10:26 -0700

On Saturday 06 July 2002 02:48 pm, Voltage Spike wrote:
> I would also add another term to the list that has been growing in
> popularity: copy protection.  I tend to associate the term with protecting
> my right to copy rather than its true meaning (a mechanism which protects
> the author's rights concerning the copy).  In fact, many people interpret
> the term this way.  The end result is that people tend to accept copy
> protection without thinking about the true meaning.  How many people would
> buy that new CD with brand new "copy prevention" technology? :-)

Copy Protection gets on my nerves. What really hurts now is when software
companies tell me the software I bought isn't really mine, and that I only
bought the media and a license to use it. Had there been a sticker on the
box, I wouldn't have bought the software. Worst yet I don't know what i am
agreeing too until I open the box, which now voids any chance of returning
the item.