OT: Note to Tim

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 13:16:31 -0700

> 100% Agreed - The GPL is all about respecting
> intellectual property rights. Currently, copyright

Please dont call copyright law, "intellectual property" it is misleading
and in accurate.

You can read why here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#IntellectualProperty

> law is being used inefficiently, and extends beyond
> what is reasonable. The GPL is one way of restoring
> market efficiency to copyright law - piracy leads to
> market-destroying legislation. The GPL promotes the
> creative process - piracy devalues it.

Piracy is a gross term for "unauthorized copying".  Pirates were brutal
murderers, rapists and pillagers and I doubt you intend to mean "sharing
with your neighbor without authorization" is on par with such criminal
activity enjoyed by pirates. ;)

> Piracy and the GPL are antithetical.

I think it would be better stated that Copyright abuse and the GPL are
antithetical.  Seeing how the GPL relies on copyright for its
enforcement.

-Derek