OT: Note to Tim

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 18:51:01 -0500 (CDT)

> On Friday 05 July 2002 03:30 pm, Tim Shapiro wrote:
> > Well I don't look at Hackers as Scum, Hackers are really our friends. I
> > don't and wont have any intention of EVER BUYING ms products. I get
> > everything cracked. Windows 98se to Windows XP. Microsoft C++, Visual
> > Basic 6.0, Foxpro, Things like that, Microsoft Office also to be included
> > in the list. I also have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum edition if
> > anyone wants it (this is a kick ass program). This is the way I look at
> > it: I am not a buisness and I don't care if I pirate, steal, or take
> > money from corporations that are making more money than I can fathom.
>
> I hate to be mean, but I would appreciate it if comments like this were kept
> off of the list.  It's not that I don't respect your right to such an
> opinion, but I believe it hurts any cause we care to put forth
> (Installfest, Maricopa meeting, etc.) to have such opinions expressed on
> this list.

I am just curious as to the logic.  By reading the above, I suppose I
shouldnt pay for my Hamburger at MacDonalds, my groceries from Bashas or
my car from Chyrsler?  As certainly all of these corporations are making
more money than I can fathom.

I have no problem loathing corporations treatment of consumers, nor not
wanting to pay for over priced goods, but certainly two wrongs don't make
a right.  If you have a problem with copyright law and licensing software,
then put your angst and your ethusiasm to good use and do something
productive to combat it.  It can be as much as lobbying the government for
a change or writing/testing/using GPL or other similar software that
restores rights to users.

My Two Cents,

Derek