(OT?) and now my questions

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:49:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:

> 1) Whats the job situation like there?
> 	is there any demand for good linux administrators in the phoenix
> 	area?

Since Linux is still relatively new to general business use, and most
businesses change very slowly, I would hope that you have *nix
specialization with other flavors.  I have a lot of experience with HP-UX
and Solaris (with a wee bit of AIX) and those will typically be what an
employer is primarily looking for right now.  However, a lot of businesses
are using a smattering of Linux systems here and there and so it's
advantageous to highlight your Linux skills as well.  Plus, many businesses
are looking to migrate from their current *nix to Linux, but you have to
be familiar with their current *nix first...
There also is demand for admins that are strong with Windows
servers/software, but also know Linux well.  Again, this is because of
mixed environments, but also for future migration plans.  There's a lot of
recent interest in businesses moving away from complete dependence on
Microsoft software, particularly because of Microsoft's expensive licensing
changes.  Unfortunately, these Microsoft-dependent businesses usually lack
any type of in-house Linux expertise to help facilitate these changes.  So
if you could get hired as a Linux administrator in Windows clothing, then
you could help migrate them more and more to Linux.
~M