Palladium : The cure for Independence (User Friendly Linux)

Tom Snell plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 05:22:25 -0700

bob smith wrote:

>So my solution is to baptize the hard drive of the
>only computer left in the house that runs Windows.
>This is the computer that my parents and sister use.
>What is the most easily administered and user friendly
>Linux distribution?  What do you all think would be
>best suited for them. I would put FreeBSD on their but
>I think that might scare them away :).

I recently played around with the downloadable versions of ELX and
Desktop/LX (the original Redmond Linux, now called Lycoris) for just
this reason, to test out easily navigable and configured "super-newbie"
distros.  I know my kids have no problem with Red Hat (my four-year old
is a TuxRacer wizard, and I think he compiles kernels when I'm not
looking!), but I was just curious if there was a distro that came close
to what I would consider appropriate for the "clueless horde" that I've
had to give tech support to for the past six years or so  (and it's just
that experience, along with giving tech support to my 82-year old
mother, that I feel makes me a good judge of what most people would feel
comfortable with...<grin>).

So....pass the envelope, please.  ELX and Desktop/LX are both quite
good, frankly, within the goals that they set for themselves.  I think
any current Windows user would feel comfortable navigating the 'tweaked'
KDE interface that both distros offer, and adding OpenOffice 1.0 to both
distros (which both plan to do, I believe) would pretty much be the
icing on the cake.  ELX comes with more programs, is based in India,
seems very customer-focused, and just came out with their retail 1.0
version ($60 and up, depending on support options....available only
through mail order from a U.S. partner).  Desktop/LX has far fewer
programs included than the average Linux user would tolerate, but that's
the key....it's not overwhelming.  It's based on Caldera's OpenLinux
workstation, which always, IMHO, did a good job of not scaring the
average user while giving great stability.  And it's only $30 for the
standard edition, and it's available at Fry's!  Both distros try to
emulate the Windows GUI with cute little tweaks to the KDE GUI, both
have very well organized menus and easily understood, basic system admin
tools.  I think your family would feel comfortable with either distro,
but I'd probably recommend Desktop/LX as a "testbed".....if they voice
any concerns, you can always tell them the company is based in Redmond!
<lol>

Find out more at:

http://www.elxlinux.com
http://www.lycoris.com