an email i would like to send to KTAR 620

Raymond Cantwell plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 12:11:23 -0700

--------------000100080103080103060508

tickticker wrote:

> [...]
> 3, and several court cases past and pending show a clear lack of
> integrity and business honesty as outlined in part 2.  I cannot find
> that ANY government body would be willing to work with such
> contractors, let alone having rules against it and clearly ignoring
> those rules.
>
> There are many alternatives to Microsofts products.  Alternatives that
> have broken no laws, Federal or Local, are well supported and used by
> many large governments (Germany, Taiwan, et al).  As a concerned voter
> in Chandler, I must point out that I cannot support criminal behavior
> and would hope that my County Council would see fit to do the same and
> ONLY consider alternatives as Microsoft is clearly unqualified to meet
> County requirements."
>
> The county has responded to us thus:
>
> "You recently inquired about the County's use of Microsoft products
> and the manner in which we license their software.  We appreciate your
> interest in the County's technology plans.  To provide a forum in
> which to discuss our technology direction and address any questions
> you may have, we will have Information Technology staff members
> available to meet with citizens at 8:30 am on Monday July 8th.  The
> meeting location will be the County Administration Building at 301 W.
> Jefferson in Suite 420.  Please RSVP your attendance so we can ensure
> that adequate facilities are available for the meeting.
>
> Thank you for your inquiry,
> Paul Allsing
> Deputy CIO
> Maricopa County
> 301 W Jefferson, Suite 420
> Phoenix, AZ 85003 "
>
> Yes, this Monday.  If you are at all interested and would like further
> information for perusal, feel free to reply to this email or view the
> following urls:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/17/1651231&tid=103
> <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/17/1651231&tid=103> (Slashdot)
>
> and again here:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/01/1832218&mode=thread&tid=167
> <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/01/1832218&mode=thread&tid=167>
>
> http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-July/026752.html (discussion
> thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)
>
> http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/025868.html (discussion
> thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)
>
> http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/026044.html (discussion
> thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)
>
> http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/026345.html (discussion
> thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)
>
> Alternatives to Microsoft are secure and even used by governments
> (Germany, Taiwan) with the cost being inexpesive and the total cost of
> ownership being 50% less.
>
> We are organizing several meetings about how to handle the Monday
> meeting, interested parties can follow along at our website:

I say send it off, the worst they can do is ignore it. IMHO.
Ray

--------------000100080103080103060508

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
tickticker wrote:<br>
 cite="mid004f01c222c3$920bf720$0601010a@tickticker.com">
 http-equiv="Content-Type">

and  somebody else should?&nbsp; or am i just forgetting something? and I'm not
sure  if i should keep the very last line and url in as our page doesn't
mention this  topic.</div>

a little  local government news that isn't getting ANY popular press but
has far reaching  impact might be worth a few words of discussion.</font></div>

if not all  counties and school districts, has a clause for debarring contractors
if they  have violated certain Federal laws concerning Antitrust activities.&nbsp;
Last  year, Microsoft was found guilty of just such actions and are now in
the penalty  phase.&nbsp; A large group of concerned citizens has realized that
many of our  goverment agencies are therefore "breaking the rules" by spending
MILLIONS on  contracts with Microsoft when they should not even be in the
running for these  contracts.</font></div>

to my  County Councilman:</font></div>

OF  CONTRACTORS, I read the following:</font></div>

shall  include, but are not<br>
limited to, the following:<br>
2. Conviction of any  Person or any subsidiary or affiliate of any Person<br>
under any statute of the  Federal government, this State or its political<br>
subdivision or any other  State for:<br>
k. Any other offense indicating a lack of business integrity or  business<br>
honesty which affects responsibility as a Contractor.<br>
3.  Conviction or civil judgment finding a violation by any Person or  any<br>
subsidiary or affiliate of any Person under State or Federal  Antitrust<br>
Statutes."</font></div>

 Antitrust Statutes (penalties pending), clearly falls into the catagory
 described in part 3, and several court cases past and pending show a clear
lack  of integrity and business honesty as outlined in part 2.&nbsp; I  cannot&nbsp;find
that ANY government body would be willing to work with such  contractors,
let alone having rules against it and clearly ignoring those  rules.</font></div>

 products.&nbsp; Alternatives that have broken no laws, Federal or Local, are
 well supported and used by many large governments (Germany, Taiwan, et  al).&nbsp;
As a concerned voter in Chandler, I must point out that I cannot  support
criminal behavior and would hope that my County Council would see fit to
 do the same and ONLY consider alternatives as Microsoft is clearly unqualified
 to meet County requirements."</font></div>

about the  County's use of Microsoft products and the manner in which we
license their  software.&nbsp; We appreciate your interest in the County's technology
 plans.&nbsp; To provide a forum in which to discuss our technology direction
and  address any questions you may have, we will have Information Technology
staff  members available to meet with citizens at 8:30 am on Monday July
8th.&nbsp; The  meeting location will be the County Administration Building at
301 W. Jefferson  in Suite 420.&nbsp; Please RSVP your attendance so we can ensure
that adequate  facilities are available for the meeting.<br>
 face="Courier New">"</font></div>

and would like further information for perusal, feel free to reply to  this
email or view the following urls:</font></div>

 href="http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/17/1651231&amp;tid=103">http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/17/1651231&amp;tid=103</a>
 (Slashdot)</font></div>

 href="http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-July/026752.html">http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-July/026752.html</a>&nbsp;(discussion
 thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)</div>

 href="http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/025868.html">http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/025868.html</a>&nbsp;(discussion
 thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)</div>

 href="http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/026044.html">http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/026044.html</a>&nbsp;(discussion
 thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)</div>

 href="http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/026345.html">http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/026345.html</a>&nbsp;(discussion
 thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)</div>

(Germany,  Taiwan) with the cost being inexpesive and the total cost of ownership
being 50%  less.</div>

meeting,  interested parties can follow along at our website:</div>

I say send it off, the worst they can do is ignore it. IMHO.<br>
Ray<br>

--------------000100080103080103060508--