IF2 Location (Was: Thanks again, Thurman!)

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 07:19:13 -0400 (EDT)

Apologies for the subject change Thurman. Your
contribution is greatly appreciated, just trying
to help my poor little brain track my email :)

This was Glendale Civic Center, which I chose
largely as it should provide us with a reasonable
upper bound. The Phoenix Art Museum is more
expensive, but other than that I think this
shows that we can get a space for around a
thousand dollars or less.

The idea of approaching a lodge is a good one.
If they have members who want to learn about
Linux, it might get us a free location and
some extra attendees in one fell swoop.

My only concern in starting to approach a bunch
of places that might offer a free site is to avoid
looking ungrateful. When someone is feeling
magnanimous about their contribution to the
community, it's somewhat off-putting to say,
"no thanks, we changed our mind" - could cost
us a venue for future use. Think this can best be
avoided by keeping the inquiries low key, and
preferably coming from insiders - EG: a lodge
member asking the Grand Poobah, "a buddy of mine
is in a Linux users group, they're looking for
a place to put on a show, would our hall work?"

All that said, I agree with the general sentiment
that has been expressed a few times now; it would
be very helpful to have the date and time ASAP.
Glendale Community College is an ideal location
and we already have a relationship. If we can get
a tentative answer from them in the very near
future, we should lean towards GCC.

JM2C