old notebook conversion

tickticker plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:24:03 -0700

wow, thanks bryce and larry. using babelfish, i found a page in german for
just this notebook, using tiny linux. here is the best babelism: "Press
ENTER ton of continue, or CTRL C ton toilet"  but i got the gist and the
directions are very specific.

and, after spending an hour taking it apart to set the dip switch to drop
the power on password (which is why it was given to me in the first place),
i found it has 16 meg RAM.. woohoo, lucky me.

i'll keep everyone updated and post questions as they arise.

anthony
----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Lauer" <llauer@azmotorsports.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 3:09 PM
Subject: RE: old notebook conversion

> Sounds like a couple of notebooks I have sitting on the shelf at home.
Check out http://www.linux-laptop.net/ you might be able to locate detailed
instructions on how to do it for your model.  I remember one of the older
machines I installed via plip.  woot that was fun.  good luck.

> Larry

rough specs from the tertiary site supporting such old machines.

> System Info
> PN: 91.AA201.017
> MB: AN760I
> Ext: 786
> Model: AN760i
> RAM: 8 MB
> Video: 512 KB
> Cache: 0 KB
>
> AN760I, w/ IDX4/75, 8MB RAM
> 1.44 MB, 3.5" AcerNote
> 540 MB, DBOA-2540 2.5 IBM
> 8 MB Memory on-board
> Chips & Technology 65535 (Onboard)
>
> Keyboard, 18511-NSK
> LCD, AN735/760 Color Sharp LM64C142
>
> Ah! no cd you say? 540 mg HDD? 8 mg RAM? could it have the original win95
install?  why YES!!!

> the question is, can I do anything with this?  test virii? if I could get
it to play nethack or preferably falcon's eye then 20 hours of labor would
be worth sitting in bed wasting brainpower on a good character.  yes, i have
no other notebooks.

> if it was win 3.1 or 95 i needed, no problems.  but how to put linux on
this thing and what flavor would fit and run, preferably with a gooey?

> yes i know falcons eye and nethack run on win95, but i would rather go to
the ends of the earth than run those.  I could learn alot from this install.