Grammar, Was: PLUG Logo Update!

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:25:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Robert N. Eaton wrote:

> On the other hand, if you turn the phrase around, which sounds better,
> "group of user" or "group of users"? BTW, "group" is singular, the
> classic example of a "group noun". ;-)

In "user group", "user" is a noun identifying
the type of each element contained in "group".
Since each element is a single user, "user group"
is correct.

In "group of users", users is a noun describing
the collection of all elements that are contained
in the group. Since the collection is a number
of users, "group of users" is correct.

"Users group" implies that each element of the
group is a set of users. This could make sense
if you were talking about sets contained in a
container, EG: "eggs case" if you were talking
about a case that contained sets of a dozen eggs.

This hints at the correct answer in our case; try
"egg carton", "eggs carton", "carton of egg",
and "carton of eggs".

> I think we've beaten this off topic horse enough. Honest people may
> differ.

The InstallFests are going to put us more in the
public light. As long as we're redoing the logo,
taking the time to ensure a professional image
will create a better first impression and help us
reach more people, faster. Marketing bull annoys
me as much as it does any hacker, but since it
matters to Joe Sixpack, it's worth our time.