ISDN

JD Austin IV plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:47:19 -0700 (MST)

I have an ISDN 4 (might be 5 port) port hub that I used with qwest's ISDN
service until a couple of months ago (I got cable modem service finally).
I got the office connect package which came with 5 static ip addresses, so
I could run web/mail/etc.  Although its a bit more expensive than
cablemodem/dsl I was pretty happy with it.
They'll come out and install a set of ISDN lines called SPID's, each will
look like a telephone number. You can set it to use one line and have the
other for fax/whatever, use both all the time, or use both when the load
requires (you can set it as you wish via the lanmodem).  To the computers
you're using it will just look like a normal ethernet network.  You'll
either set them all up via dhcp (you can force them to always get the same
IP based on which ethernet port you plugged them into) or give them static
IP's if you get the office connect package (it's not that much more).

If you haven't bought your hardware I'd sell you mine since I don't need it
any more for say $90. I'll even help you set it up if they dont first. It's
pretty easy, it has a web interface, does DHCP and NAT.  I was pretty
impressed with it.  One thing I'd say about ISDN, its rock solid, set it up
and it won't give you any problems, if it were as fast as DSL it would be
perfect :).

JD
Also if you only want the one static IP, it does NAT.