Converting mp3 to wav

Lynn Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:33:30 -0700

> point noted . I needed to add that spaces in file names are problamatic but I
> also found ( ) to be an issue and ' is an issue too.
> The script will will work for ( and ) but it does not seem to work for '
> single quote

Right. To be perfectly safe and avoid endless headache, filenames in Unix
should be limited mainly to letters and numbers where possible, and also
dots for extensions, underbars for spaces, and hyphens are okay, too. Other
characters are legal but sometimes impractical. Colons conflict at times
with the networking "r" commands, e.g., rcp. (For instance if I have a file
called xyz:something and want to copy it to the system gronk, the syntax rcp
xyz:something gronk:something will cause rcp to look on a system xyz for the
file called something.) Several other characters conflict with the shell.

Simply not using these characters to begin with shouldn't cramp a person's
style too badly.

--
Lynn Newton
Phoenix, AZ