Samba Config

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:31:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tom,
Keep plugging away at this and you'll eventually figure it all out.  Not
only does Linux increase your IQ, but it also builds character!  err,
somethin' like that.  But, alas, I digress...
In any case, here's the deal...  you need to be the owner of the device
you're trying to mount, so for example, if you wanted your regular user
account, "tom", to be able to mount /dev/hda7, then you could "chown tom
/dev/hda7" and then tom could mount and umount /dev/hda7 to his heart's
content.  But, you're trying to mount a remote share that you're not the
owner of and as far as I know, there's no way for a regular user to do
this (unless you hacked the mount command).  So, your best option is to
just pop up a shell and login as root to mount the Windows share when you
need it.  I suppose this could also be scripted and an icon could be
created on the desktop to do all of this automatically for you, but I'll
leave that as an exercise for the reader.  ;-)
~M