Samba Config

Robert A. Klahn plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:09:38 -0700

At the risk of repeating myself:

1) Check to see if swat is installed. (rpm -q samba-swat should say something like "samba-swat-2.2.1a-4")
2) Check to see if inet/xinetd is configured to run swat

inetd:

Check for a line similar to this in /etc/inetd.conf:

swat stream tcp nowait.400 root  /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

The exact text will vary. Make sure this line is not commented out. If you are running inetd, and there is no such line, then write back, and someone can walk you thru the exact syntax. Im not up for looking it up as A) I dont run inetd, and B) you probably dont either.

xinetd:

Check for the existance of a /etc/xinetd.d/swat file. If you want to run swat, it should read:

# default: off
#	       to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT,
#	       connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
	port		= 901
	socket_type	= stream
	wait 		= no
	only_from 	= 127.0.0.1
	user		= root
	server		= /usr/sbin/swat
	log_on_failure	+= USERID
	disable		= no
}

I would be willing to bet that you have "disable = yes", which means, swat will not run. Change it to "no", and do the /etc/rc5.d/S56xinetd restart

Note: How to tell if you are running inetd or xinetd. Do a:

ps -ef | grep inet | grep -v grep

You should get one line back that has either has "inetd" or "xinetd" in it.

3) As someone else pointed out, make sure that you are not blocking port 901 on your localhost interface. You probably have a localhost ACCEPT rule before all your reject rules, but its worth looking into this possibility. If you suspect this might be the case, and you dont know what I am talking about, post the contents of your /etc/sysconfig/ipchains file, or even better, the results of an "ipchains -v -L" command.

Good Luck.

Bob.