Sendmail/Exim and IP-Address

Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:23:10 -0700

The lookup name does not matter on the IP address as long as there is
one.  I would point the MX record to "cpe-24-221-41-162.az.sprintbbd.net"
not a CNAME record.

For Example:
ecloud.org NS ns1.hn.org
ecloud.org NS aux1.hn.org
www.ecloud.org CNAME ecloud.org
ecloud.org MX cpe-24-221-41-162.az.sprintbbd.net 10
ecloud.org A 24.221.41.162

Many mail servers will not accept mail unless it has a reverse lookup
record associated with it.  Some mail servers will not send mail to servers
that are referenced by a CNAME (The reverse lookup must match the MX record
statement).

You have two other problems as I can see it.  First is your TOS (that is if
your ports are not blocked) and second, mail blocking lists.  There are
lists kept on blocks of IP addresses used by residential customers (
http://mail-abuse.org/dul/ ) that some mail servers in turn use to block mail.

Good Luck.

Gilbert