VMWare

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:23:16 -0700

"Victor Odhner" <vodhner@cox.net> wrote:

> [...]
> I've heard references to "installing" the guest
> OS into VMWare.  That wouldn't cut it.  I would
> need to be able to boot up one time under Win98,
> then another time go into Linux and run Win98
> as a guest OS referencing the same filesystem.
>
> Is that possible?

Yes, you can do that with VMware workstation using the "raw" disk mode. The
guest Win98 install could run from the same physical drive that Win98/Linux
dual boot from currently. BE ADVISED THOUGH: This can get very messy if you
don't think it through carefully. You need to create two hardware profiles
for Win98, 1 for native mode and another for guest. With a LOT of patience,
it can work. Just don't dive right into it, or you wind up hosing your
native Win98 config rather badly.

If it's just files you need, you could also mount the VFAT Win98 partition
under Linux, run Samba, and then access those files from a guest Win98
install running under VMware Linux. A tad cleaner, and less error prone.

- Bob