DHCPCD Problems with Cox's new network

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:36:01 -0700

The experience that I have had with DHCP is that it seems to only allow the
card with the mac address of the card to last use DHCP.
I had a hard drive die, so I switched my cox connection over to my wireless
access point using DHCP.  That worked just fine.  When I got a new hard
drive for my main system and got an OS back on it, I put the IP that was
assigned to the access point into my fresh linux box staticly and nothing
happened.  I then ran dhcpcd on the command line and bam, everything sprang
to life with the access point ceasing to be able to work.... they are
definatly filtering by MAC now.

The other thing that I have seen keep dhcp for working right is it using
some old config info from a previous run.  My friend couldn't get on at all,
so we finally deleted the /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info file and it connected
and got an IP without a hitch.

Brian Cluff