DHCP Solutions

Richard L.Proctor plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:11:14 -0700

I have been worried about my service with cox after reading all the horror
stories online here.  However,  I decided to try and convert over and did
things a bit different.  Maybe this will help some of you,  or err,  maybe
not.

I never used the toolbox.  Just throw that puppy away.  You don't need it.  I
just simply went to cox site, entered my code, changed my password and logged
in. I then verified all my email addresses to be sure they were setup.

While I was at it,  I decided to add yet one more machine to my list.  They
don't have that option available yet so i called cox and added the new
machine.  When my bill arrived I noticed I had a $15.00 charge for
administration fees.  I called cox and asked what that was about.  They told
me that there is a fee for adding an additional computer plus the $6.95 for
each computer.  Okay since my bill is now $64 bucks,  I bought from myself (I
sell hardware) an 4 port SMC Barricade router and dropped the ips for the
other two computers leaving only my current ip address.

I installed the Barricade and the machines run behind the router firewall.
Now ever since converting over which as been about 2 weeks now.  I have not
had one sec of downtime.  My systems have been up, running and ready to go.

I run a dual boot system on this computer and windows me is working fine,
and I have swtiched back and forth from redhat and mandrake atleast 5 times
the past couple of weeks to see how things work and everything is fine no
matter which linux distro I use.

Bottom line I guess is if anyone needs help or has a question please feel
free to ask.  I promise I won't bill you unless I have to come out.  But
maybe we can help solve some of your problems with some things that I have
done or perhaps done differently.

The main thing here though is just don't use that toolbox.  Throw quickly
into the trash after you get your activation code.  Sorry for the long
wind....

--
Richard L. Proctor
Krystal Computer Services