arescom NetDSL 800

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:56:43 -0700

"Tom Karickhoff" <dragon9166@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am fairly new to Linux. I am trying to setup the
> network so I can access the internet. eth0 starts up
> with no problems, but I'm getting the message "Network
> is inaccesable" I have an Arescom NetDSL 800. When I
> boot with Win98, it uses DHCP to assign 192.168.1.2 to
> my computer(255.255.255.252), and 192.168.1.1 to
> itself.

Hiya Tom,

Sounds like your arescom box is assigning addresses to your Win98 box via
DHCP then, right? If so, you should be able to use a dhcp client (dhcpcd,
pump) on Linux to get similar results. Or, if the address assigned to your
computer is ALWAYS 192.16.1.2, just configure your Linux setup with that
address. To keep it simple, get it all working with Win98, then do
"Start->Run->winipcfg" and copy down the IP address, netmask, default
gateway and DNS settings. Then just use those same settings for Linux.

Hope this helps! Give a bit more detail and maybe more info will be
forthcoming. Good luck!

- Bob