cox mail down???

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:22:00 -0500

There is a substantial Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) issue here.  Cox
was not able to provide the service you are paying for.  Section 2 (if
memory serves correctly) says you get a reasonable time to inspect the
goods or services before you accept them.  If you do not accept the
goods or services, you don't have to pay for them.  I have filed
complaints with two different broadband ISP's for service problems
(Oceanic Cable in Hawaii, and Qwest in Phoenix), and have received
credit for disruptions in service.  It's the law in all 50 states
(slightly different, but substantially the same in Louisiana).

The book "Bad Software" covers the UCC very well.

Complain and make sure you get the CS Rep to note your account and
get a refund for the days your service was disrupted.  If he/she
doesn't want to cooperate, say "I would like your supervisor, please"
and discuss it with him/her.  If they don't cooperate (make sure
you get names along the way), ask them for the address to carbon
copy the complaint you are about to send to the Public Utilities
Commission and the FCC.  That particular request worked wonders on
Qwest.  Keep lots of notes.  (I have five typewritten pages of notes
on Qwest).

George