cox mail down???

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:46:16 -0700

"Victor Odhner" <vodhner@cox.net> wrote:

> [...]
> I suspect there may be some sort of class action
> on this.  What some tech support guy says to a
> subscriber may not be what Cox legal ends up saying
> to a battalion of law-yuhs.  Of course they have
> excuses and disclaimers, but it may not fly for
> people who have been harmed.

I thought they started out by classifying it as "non-guaranteed" and "not
intended for work purposes". That stops a lot of the damage claims dead, I
would think.

>  Anyway, the greatest
> harm has been to people who actually lost their
> connection for days on end.  Some of them were
> @Work users, and some of them lost connection
> without having started any conversion action.

I'm on @Work Pro and never HAD any Cox/Home e-mail addresses to start with.
Are you referring to the $99/mo package?

From my perspective, the conversion on @Work Pro went exactly as the tech
told me the week before. I was out of town, so was pretty apprehensive that
things would be stuck until I returned. True to what was explained to me, my
old IPs remained active, but the new ones became active in parallel,
although two days past the announced date. By simply setting up my systems
with multiple IPs (fixed on @Work Pro), I only had to make changes to DNS
and default gateway once the new addresses "took".

> But I hope this doesn't bring Cox down.  This has
> in fact been a real bitch for them, as much as they
> did screw this up.  [...]

Agreed. I'm quite happy with how smoothly it's gone, although my connection
has dropped for half-hour blocks twice (that I've noticed). Considering we
have no SLA, it's still a good deal.

- Bob