Outgoing ping unknown

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 07:33:04 -0700

The link to the HP page here has been shut down

Could Not Open URL
The URL you requested, /cm/QuestionAnswer/1,11866,0x515b1012aa92d5118ff100 ,
does not exist or is not retrievable at this HP IT Resource Center Web site.
(Error HTTP_404)

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Toft" <george@georgetoft.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: Outgoing ping unknown

Good link, Dallas.

I'm surprised HP put the fact that they are being sued over
this on their site.  I wonder if the programmer genius that
did that is still employed at HP.

So this poses a question: Assuming you need to determine
if you are currently connected to the Internet, how would
you do it?  A gethostbyname() lookup is what I would
expect, not pinging someone's IP address.

Moreover, what benefit is gained with this?  If is person
has a dialup account, the "connected" icon will be in the
system tray.  If they are on a LAN/DSL/Cable Modem, they
will know if they are connected to the Internet.  I can't
help but feel this programmer is a complete idiot, or he
knew that several thousand computers pinging that one IP
would be a great DDOS attack.

George

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,11866,0x515b1012aa92d5118ff100