Outgoing ping unknown

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:45:14 -0700

David Demland wrote:

> I just put a sniffer on my home network and I have found that my wife's
> computer is sending out a ping to address: 207.26.131.137. I have ran a
> virus checker on it and there are no known viruses. I have not been able to
> find out where this IP goes to. Does anyone have an idea where this IP is
> and what might be trying to "phone home"?

there are a bunch of new spyware and other plug-in packages that
periodically send info to marketing centers...  that would be my guess.
There are a couple of packages (for the Win* machines) which sniff these
out.   I do not know much about them, but can put you in touch with
someone who does if interested...

  EBo --