RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
25 Jan 2002 11:25:02 -0700

This thread was about the pains of installing software without
dependancy checking.  Not RedHat vs. Debian, I know the virtues of
Debian, I have evangelized them myself at times.  What it comes down to,
is that both have their problems, but dependancy-hell should not be one
of them at this stage in the game.

Red-Carpet is not enough, <insert APT equivalent here> needs to be
integrated with the RedHat base system.

The LSB states that all conforming distributions must provide a
mechanism for installing RPM, not DEB.

RedHat is on the page for LSB contributors.

Anyway, this conversation is descending, so it's probably best we end
it.  Unless anyone REALLY wants to get into the Distro Flame-wars again.