Handspring, USB, KDE, no worky!

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:31:16 -0700

I've hit the sites.  I've read the how-to's.  I've done all that I can think
of.  I need more knowledge.

-Compiled and installed pilot-link.0.9.5
-As root did "ln -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot"
-Then as root did "chmod 666 /dev/usb/ttyUSB0", "chmod 666 /dev/usb/ttyUSB1"
and "chmod 666 /dev/pilot"
-Running USBview shows the "Handspring Visor" in the bus tree when I hit the
cradle sync button.
-/var/log/messages shows the Visor's attempt to connect until it times out:
kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 10
kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter detected
kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: Number of ports: 2
kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 1, is for Generic use and is
bound to ttyUSB0
kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 2, is for HotSync use and is
bound to ttyUSB1
kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or
usb/tts/0 for devfs)
kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or
usb/tts/1 for devfs)
kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 10
kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
-When I run KPilot, the daemon reports "Cannot open Pilot port "/dev/pilot".
These is no such device."  (yes, it says "These")
-Then KPilot reports that it cannot start the Daemon.

If I press the cradle sync button at the same time I start KPilot, the daemon
will start and will indicate sync has started and the Visor will say
"Syncronizing" but it will eventually time out without passing any data.

The only hitch I can think of in all of this is my new USB printer.  The
computer has 2 USB ports with the printer on one (using port /dev/usb/lp0
with CUPS and gimp-print) and the Visor on the other USB port.  So the
printer is on /dev/usb/lp0 and the Visor uses /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 and
/dev/usb/ttyUSB1.  That make 3 devices but only 2 physical ports.  Is this
the problem?  Do I need a hub?

What do you all, anybody, think is going on?  What else can I try?

Alan