RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
24 Jan 2002 15:07:33 -0700

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 10:29, Victor Odhner wrote:

<snip>

> But how does the common-library-version-compatibility issue
> play out in the Linux world?  I'd be interested in hearing
> comments on this, because I haven't done a lot of updating
> under Linux.  Seems to me that doing an apt-get to install
> one application, with its required libraries, might cause
> a library to become incompatible with another application
> already resident on the machine.

That's what APT is.  It checks all those dependancies between what is
installed, and what is going to be installed, downloads only what you
need to fulfill those dependancies and simplifies your life.  It's very
configurable and you can do quite a few other things with it, but that
is the gist.

In short, the problem you describe, is one that APT was designed to
eliminate.

--
Blake Barnett (bdb)  <blake.barnett@developonline.com>
Sr. Unix Administrator

Learning is a skill, you get better at it with practice.