RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
24 Jan 2002 10:26:30 -0700

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 07:22, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> I disagree, it should be the end product people who package any
> supplementary file their product needs together.  I would not expect MS
> to include everything a Symantec product would need, that would be
> Symantec's job.  The same should hold for Linux.  If I write a program I
> should not expect Red Hat, Debian, SuSE or any of the others to have
> what my product needs, I should include it.  The fault here clearly lies
> with poor product management by Ximian.

At what point do you stop though?  should i include gtk with my product
if it is based on gtk?  How about libc?  or a complete custom made
distribution just for my application?

LSB should be atleast a baseline of what you should expect on a system,
yes, but distributing evolution shouldn't include every lib it needs.
There needs to be a standard starting point.

Bill W

Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.