RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:22:38 -0700

I disagree, it should be the end product people who package any supplementary file their product needs together.  I would not expect MS to include everything a Symantec product would need, that would be Symantec's job.  The same should hold for Linux.  If I write a program I should not expect Red Hat, Debian, SuSE or any of the others to have what my product needs, I should include it.  The fault here clearly lies with poor product management by Ximian.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert A. Klahn [mailto:rklahn@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 10:14 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

This is one area where RedHat has a thing or two to learn from Debian. As I have had to work with RedHat more and more (it is "Linux" after all), I miss just doing an "apt-get install foo" and just having it work.

In short, don't blame Ximian, blame the poor management capabilities of RPM. Rpmfind, and its ilk, is just a band-aid to the core problem, which is, the total lack of ability of the package management system to determine the predependencies of a package.

Don't get me wrong, I could go on a Debian rant about many things (like the fact that a release based upon a 2.4.X kernel is nowhere close, for one). In short, the distributions have a lot to learn from each other.

EndRant.

Bob.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:43:47 -0700
"Tom Achtenberg" <tom@ybnormal.org> wrote:

> I downloaded the dependent rpms.  Ran into 6 more dependencies at this
> level.  Tried the --nodeps Carl recommended and got at least 40 conflicts in
> the installation.  It just isn't worth this kind of hassle and frustration.
> For the third and final time I am giving up on Evolution and anything else
> from Ximian.  They have a long way to go before their programs are ready for
> general public consumption.  I have NEVER had this much trouble installing
> anything in Windows.
>
> I will patiently wait for KDE 3 to be released.

Robert A. Klahn
rklahn@acm.org
AIM: rklahn
Yahoo Messenger: klahn
IRC: rklahn@irc.openprojects.net

"Hope has two beautiful daughters: Anger and Courage. Anger at the way
things are, and Courage to struggle to create things as they should be." -
St. Augustine