Wireless Lan

Chris Cowan plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
23 Jan 2002 21:54:00 +0000

I'm thinking about getting a wireless lan but before I do I want to get
some second opinions. I need to get a connection point and a pcmcia card
for my powerbook. I need the pcmcia to be compatible with Macintosh as
well as Linux. I was looking at the ORiNOCO because I know it's
compatible with Linux and Macintosh. But I have a few questions.

Is there a better card than the ORiNOCO?

Do I have to use the ORiNOCO connection point with the ORiNOCO card or
will any 803.11b connection point work?

If I use a different connection point will I lose the security?

When are we going to set up a Wireless network here in the Valley like
in New York and Portland? (that's for mondoshawan...)

Thanks
Chris