DHCP and Cox Cable

Robert A. Klahn plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:39:24 -0700

One thing that I did when faced with a similar situation is that I wrote a cron job that would run on a regular basis that detected the change of IP address and notified me when it did. I had the notification go thru syslog, but you could do it via email, pager, whatever. I could recreate a similar script quite easily, if there is intrest.

Now if you are hitting the web site by name, vs. IP, then you are going to have to do a DNS change each time the IP changes, but that is, I suppose, a nit in all this.

Also, you are probably going to have problems accessing your webserver from outside the COX network, because they are probably blocking port 80 from outside their network. You are going to have to find a port that they are not blocking, and run your webserver on that port.

Bob.