How Do I Add a Second SCSI Drive

Steve plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:22:36 -0700

How do I add a second SCSI drive to my RedHat 7.1 Server?  Here is what I've
done so far:
1: Physically added the drive, in DMESG it shows as "SCSI device sdb:
17942584 512-byte hdwr sectors <9187 MB> sdb: sdb1
2: I ran cfdisk /dev/sdb and created a new primary partition that was not
bootable and then issued a Write in cfdisk and used the entire 9187mb.
3: I rebooted the system and after the system was back up I issued a
"mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sdb1"
4: After the mkfs command completed I entered "fsck -f -y /dev/sda1"
5: Now per the books instructions "Essential System Administration" from
O'Reilly I should have been able to mount the disk.  When I issued a "mount
/dev/sdb1"  I receive an error message stating "mount: can't find /dev/sdb
in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.
I don't really understand why it's not being added to the /etc/fstab or
/etc/mtab files.  Is this something I have to do manually?  Also when
creating a file system, should a label be given, for example /usr or /tmp?

Any advice or documentation would be greatly appreciated.