LS_COLORS environment variable

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:14:13 -0700

Here is another probably simple question to chew on.

Somewhere there is an environment variable LS_COLORS is set that can be
finely tuned to make a fancy-schmancy terminal window output display with
lots of neat colors. Generally I like this feature.

However, I'm trying to do some work where I have to provide some screen
shots of a simple 80x24 terminal with "$ " prompt, and all I want is plain
black and white. I can't figure out where this variable is set or how to
turn it off. (It's *not* just a matter of saying unset LS_COLORS or
LS_COLORS="")

I did discover in the ls(1) man page that --color=never will do it, but I'd
rather avoid that. Also

alias ls="ls --color=never"

works. But there's gotta be a better way. Does someone know?

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ