Changing Host name

Robert A. Klahn plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:09:38 -0700

Hmmm. Thats odd.

You probably now have an empty /etc/resolv.conf file. It might be that the Network Configuration GUI wiped it out, if you used it to set the host name.

Im not real familiar with the e-smith server suite, but if I read their web page correctly, it should not really be a factor in this configuration. But, like I say, I dont know much about e-smith.

Im picturing that your e-smith server is acting as a NAT gateway/firewall. If thats the case, than the /etc/resolv.conf file that is on that server should work on the "print workstation" that we have been talking about. Actualy, now that I think about it, if its a gateway at all (in other words, NAT and/or firewall should not really matter), the /etc/resolv.conf file on that server should work on your "print workstation."

One way to verify this theory is to do a:

dig www.yahoo.com

If your /etc/resolv.conf file is correct, that should come back right away, giving you a list of the IP addresses that www.yahoo.com resolve to (and if this is what happens, then Im full of smoke on this theory, and the problem is something else). If instead, you get a "connection timed out; no servers could be reached", then the issue is clearly with your /etc/resolv.conf file.

Good Luck.

Bob.