Going from LPR to CUPS on RedHat 7.2

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 00:25:51 -0700

OK.  On I go with what I have done.

In the CUPS System Administrators Manual is a section about installing from
the source.  In that section is this:

"For the image file filters and PostScript RIP, you'll need the JPEG, PNG,
TIFF, and ZLIB libraries. CUPS will build without these, but with
significantly reduced functionality."

I don't want reduced functionality.  I don't know if I already have these
libraries installed or not.  So, I downloaded them and did "./configure",
"make" and "make install" on each one except PNG.  PNG had it's own build
instructions and did not use AutoConf.  I did them in reverse alphabetical
order because PNG stated that it is dependent on ZLIB.

That being done, I did "./configure", "make" and "make install" on CUPS
1.1.12 sources.  Aside from a few warnings, all went well.

So now I am at the point where I should do the three steps I describe below.
Should I do it or will I end up with a completely un-printing system?

Alan