wu-ftpd - symlinks

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:54:49 -0700 (MST)

Am 17. Jan, 2002 schwätzte Lisa Winkler so:

> I'm thinking I will check out one of the alternate servers that have been
> discussed here.  A friend of mine was rooted recently (through lpr) by a
> particularly nasty script kiddie, so in light of the pain he experienced
> I'm stepping up my security as well.

Do you really need ftpd? One of the first steps in security is to get rid of
all the network services you can.

Use http for anon download. Use scp/sftp for upload.

As I noted in another post lpr on an external interface is bad. Do people on
the Net really need to print to your printer? :)

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans