A Newbie question

John Steele plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:14:46 -0700

Hi all,

My name is john and I'm adicted to LINUX. I got my Compaq laptop to run
Mandrake 8.1. It was my first experience with LINUX and I'm hooked.

I do have a small problem. That is my hard disk is onlt 3 Gb and compaq
will NOT give me an update to the BIOS to add any bigger drive then 8
Gb. I really do dislike Compaq (but that another story and a half).
Western Digital hard drives come with software for windows to trick the
BIOS into accepting the bigger drives. I'm wondering if any of you know
of a program/drive that might work with LINUX to accomplish the same thing.

I've only been reading the PLUG digest for a couple of weeks, and I know
I just missed a meeting in the eat valley where I live. I am really
looking forward to attending so of these meeting and meeting real LINUX
geeks!

John

p.s. I asked Mandrake about my hard drive problem and "they" tell me
this is not possible. %^(