Security Hole in Unix / Linux Systems

Robert A . Klahn plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:09:24 -0700

Greetings:

One thing that I have noticed missing in the media reports about this
exploit is the answer to the question "So, what should I do?"

For a Linux system, the answer is most likely "nothing". I dont know of
any distribution that uses CDE, at least by default. Mostly, in the Linux
world, we have "moved past" CDE with Gnome and KDE.

For other U*IXes, the answer is a little bit more complex. Solaris, AIX,
and HP/UX all use CDE, and for all recent versions, by default.

So, what to do, for these other U*IXes? Consider if you need to run dtspcd
at all. Its purpose is to permit the running of applications on your
server, from a remote client. Useful, perhaps. Risky, clearly. How does
one turn dtspcd off? Easy, comment out this (or a similar looking line)
from /etc/inetd.conf:

dtspc stream tcp nowait root /usr/dt/bin/dtspcd /usr/dt/bin/dtspcd

Save the file, and restart the inetd process by sending it the SIGHUP
signal. Do a "netstat" to verify that port 6112 is not open. The actual
netstat syntax varies from U*IX to U*IX, so do a man if you are unsure.

If you really need to be running dtspcd, you should block port 6112 at
your firewall, and if you really need to run dtspcd, you really should
have a firewall. You should also really be running dtspcd under TCP
Wrappers, or something similar, on top of blocking the port at your
firewall. If anyone is in this situation, let me know, and I can go into
more depth. But, as we are now at least two times removed from the topic
of the list (we are now talking about non-Linux systems that knowingly
want to run something so risky), I will not take up any more of your time
on the topic.

Bob.

--
Robert A. Klahn
rklahn@acm.org

"Hope has two beautiful daughters: Anger and Courage. Anger at the way
things are, and Courage to struggle to create things as they should be." -
St. Augustine