wu-ftpd - symlinks

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 09:27:35 -0700

Nancy Sollars wrote:

> im going to flame u for this but u should'nt be using Wu ftpd cuz it has
> more holes than an English Tea bag .. please use either Pro-ftpd or Pureftpd
>
> As most would have read from a post i made about my friend martin in England
> who ran a box with Wu on it - his exact comment was u would have to be a
> muppet to use it ..

----
I find this response to be offensive because it offers no help to the
questioner and even worse, it suggests that the questioner is less than
smart to use it. As is somewhat typical from a Nigel posting, it begs
someone to defend a software package that he doesn't like. I'll pass on
that endeavor except to say that some people curse the darkness and some
people light a candle.

symbolic links indeed work in wu-ftpd / you can see from
<http://www.wu-ftpd.org/HOWTO/guest.HOWTO> that they are used for the
purposes of linking libraries.

More than likely, it is a permissions problem but it may be affected by
the chroot of a particular user. Try the link using a 'real' user and it
will likely work. Check your folder/file permissions.

Craig